One of the oldest cultural institutions in the city of Siena.
The Historical Room of the Biblioteca Comunale degl Intronati dates back to 1758 when the economist Sallustio Bandini donated his library collection to the University of Siena.
The donation comprised a collection of almost 3,000 books. One of the conditions of the donation was its public use, which lead to the creation of significant cultural attraction on the premises in Via della Sapienza.
In 1798, a strong earthquake forced the closure of the library, which was only reopened in 1808 when the University of Siena was closed by the French government.
The premises were reopened in 1812 following a French decree that united it with the library of Sant’Agostino and assigned its ownership to the civic community of Siena.
During the 19th century, the library continued to receive important donations and assets from a new monastic suppression decreed by the government of the Historical Right. In 1866, the Sienese bookseller and publisher Giuseppe Porri donated his collection encompassing works and autographs of famous people, medals, seals and coins.
In 1932, the Sienese podestà Fabio Bergagli Petrucci took over the administration and gave the library its current name in memory of the Literary Academy of the Intronati, which had occupied those same premises in the 16th century.
Renovation work has been ongoing since the mid-1990s, as a result of which new areas were added for administrative offices, a consultation room for old books and manuscripts, and the current library.
In 1999, a new section for magazines and newspapers was opened, while in 2006, the Library for children and teenagers was opened. Finally, the Drawings and Prints Cabinet was opened in 2011.
Today, the Biblioteca Comunale degli Intronati is an important centre of activity with a strong cultural influence. This evocative space is so fascinating that many choose to get married among the ancient books.
The hall seats 85 people, and the total collection comprises around 65,000 books and over 500,000 documents.
The library is open to the public but the historical room is only open to visitors during cultural events.
Monday-Saturday 9:00 – 18:45